Have you ever read the book?
Seen the film?
“As you wish” are three of the most wonderful words ever written or said. If I was talking about the words ‘cellar door’ then you’d know I was referencing Donnie Darko. Or just subtly pushing my blog. But no. I’m saying “as you wish”, which can only mean one thing: The Princess Bride.
Look at him being all intense and farm-boy-ish.
That film gets everything right. And here I will now list my Top Ten reasons (or the first ten I could think of) why this film needs to be watched by every single human being in the world. At least once. Or maybe 7 times so they don’t miss anything.
So here we go:
1. It has sword fighting
2. It’s got that kid from The Wonder Years playing a bratty sick kid whose loving grandfather reads him The Princess Bride
Aww look at Fred Savage being so cute and cynical.
3. Its characters keep it real. Like a boss.
4. It’s an honest to goodness love story. Nothing beats a romance. Shutup guys.
5. It has R.O.U.Ss. For you ignorant folk, that stands for rodents of unusual size.
Apparently the actor inside that rodent suit was arrested the day that scene was filmed and the crew had to bail him out of jail so they could complete the scene. Awkward.
6. It has Billy Crystal playing a scorned miracle man and being a comic genius
And he does love a good BTL.
7. And Andre the Giant being a rhyming master
8. It’s a story where there is a difference between dead and mostly dead
9. There’s a battle of wits
10. And features one of the best one-liners ever written
I will add an honorable mention to this list. I don’t know how much this will mean to anyone other than myself but the score was written by Mark Knopfler. As in the lead singer and guitarist from Dire Straits. The best band in the world. Don’t even try to fight me on this indisputable fact.
My Top Ten list is merely skimming the surface of the sheer awesomeness that is The Princess Bride. So if that doesn’t inspire you to buy the film on DVD, well then, you are no friend of mine.